Any teen movie worthy of the name wouldn’t be the same without a villain fueling that high school drama.
And now a survey has revealed who is the meanest teen drama character of all times.
This might not come as a surprise to most, but Queen of the Plastics Regina George has secured the number one spot.
Played by Rachel McAdams in 2004 classic written by Tina Fey, Regina has been voted the cruellest villain a teen movie has ever had by 2,000 UK film fans.
Sky platform Sky Q surveyed 2,000 movie fans in the UK about their favorite teen dramas of all times.
Closely following Regina, there are two major characters from 1999 movie Cruel Intentions, inspired by French classic novel Les Liaisons Dangereuses.
Scheming princess Kathryn Merteuil, portrayed by Sarah Michelle Gellar, and her devious step-brother Sebastian, played by Ryan Phillippe, ranked second and third respectively.
Cruel Intentions also won Best Kiss at the MTV Movie Award for a steamy same-sex kiss between Gellar’s character and ingenue Cecile Caldwell, played by Selma Blair.
Surprisingly, Lindsay Lohan’s character on Mean Girls Cady Heron also made the list and ranked fourth.
Top 10 ‘meanest’ teen villains in film:
- Regina George, Mean Girls (Rachel McAdams)
- Kathryn Mertuil, Cruel Intentions (Sarah Michelle Gellar)
- Sébastien de Valmont, Cruel Intentions (Ryan Phillipe)
- Cady Heron, Mean Girls (Lindsay Lohan)
- Amber Von Tussle, Hairspray (Brittany Snow)
- Betty Rizzo, Grease (Stockard Channing)
- Sharpay Evans, High School Musical (Ashley Tisdale)
- Steve Stifler, American Pie (Seann William Scott)
- Gretchen Wiener, Mean Girls (Lacey Chabert)
- Lana Thomas, Princess Diaries (Mandy Moore)
Moreover, the shows how many times a teen movie has been watched on average.
The most popular high school drama to rewatch is Grease, seen eight times on average and followed closely by Mean Girls, watched on average on five occasions
Mean Girls is celebrating its fifteenth anniversary this year and is still going strong.
It has reached such a cult status that three in 10 are ‘shocked’ when they meet someone who hasn’t seen it.
Top 10 best high school movies of all time:
- Mean Girls
- American Pie
- The Breakfast Club
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Cruel Intentions
- The Princess Diaries
- Bring It On