The dog, who Gus adopted after the Winter Olympics in South Korea, died from complications surrounding a birth defect to his heart

Gus Kenworthy has spoken of his pain after his gorgeous dog Beemo, who he met in South Korea at the Winter Olympics, passed away earlier this week.

Beemo suffered from health complications which were a result of a hard-to-spot defect she suffered from birth.

Beemo had a heart that was too big for her body, and her lungs deteriorated.

Gus and Matt only discovered the defect when Beemo went to the vets after her worried parents noticed she had stopped eating.

Dog rescued from dog meat farm by Gus Kenworthy

Gus Kenworthy and his boyfriend, Matthew Wilkas, visited a South Korean dog meat farm when they were in Pyeongchang, and named the gorgeous rescue pop Beemo.

When Beemo arrived in the U.S., the couple were quick to share their family member with the world, and set Beemo up with his own social media accounts.

But taking to Instagram on Saturday (26 May) evening, Gus opened up that the couple were “beside ourselves trying to cope with her loss”.

He said that Beemo went into a “panic attack” during an x-ray, where they discovered her lungs had grown to big for her body.

‘A birth defect we had no way of knowing about’

In the Instagram post, Gus wrote a heartfelt euology, saying: “Two days ago my beautiful baby Beemo passed away.

“It was completely unexpected and Matt and I are beside ourselves trying to cope with her loss.

“For a week or so we’d been worrying because she was showing less and less interest in her food.

‘There were several trips to the vet.

‘On our final visit this I asked them do a full body scan in case of an underlying issue.

‘Beemo went into a panic attack during the x-rays and her breathing became rapid and shallow.

‘The scan revealed that her lungs were deteriorated and that her heart was too big for her body.

“A birth defect we had no way of knowing about.”

‘The past two days have been a blur”

“Unable to treat her there, I rushed her to the emergency vet where a breathing tube was put down her throat.

‘They hoped that with a respirator breathing for her they could get her vitals back to a normal level so she could be treated but they were never able to do so.

‘The past two days have been a blur. It all happened so fast that it’s still hard to believe it.

‘The ER doc told us that even if we’d somehow spotted the issue earlier it wouldn’t have made a difference.

‘He said that she’d been living on “borrowed time” from the get go.

“Beemo was truly the best thing that ever happened to me and I feel so fortunate for borrowed time together.

“I’ve never loved anything or anyone the way I loved that dog and she is and will always be deeply missed.

“She was so smart and playful. She brought so much happiness to so many people every single day.

A post on Beemos Instagram account says: “The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long. RIP Beemo – you were and always will be very loved!”